THE SONG OF HARMONY (SUI TIAO KO TOU) – Double Translation

This poem was written by China’s well known poet, Su Tung-po (Sung Dynasty AD 1076). It was translated by me from classical Chinese into English. Again, Mdm. Liu May Wong, translated my English to modern Chinese. It is best you read the original poem, take our two translations as “interest”, and be aware that translations, no matter how good they are, commit injustices to the original. Enjoy the reading without making comparisons.

THE SONG OF HARMONY
和諧的歌聲

Whence the next luminous moon appeared?
下回發光的月亮從哪裡出現?
Raising my wine-cup, to the blue sky, I cheered.
舉起酒杯,歡呼向藍天.
I knew neither the gate of heavenly abode,
我也不知何處是天國的大門,
Nor how the evening in celestial years, decode.
既不知在天體的歲月如何解碼,
I desired to surf on the wind in my blissful return;
我渴望隨風旋轉在我的幸福中;
The exquisite jade and jasper might damage was my concern.
美玉和碧玉的威力是我的憂慮.
The high altitude with its cold was my deterrence;
高度海拔寒冷也是威慑的因素;
Dancing in its shadows, the transcendence was transience.
跳舞在其黃昏中,超越是短暂的.
The lights revolved around its amber pavilion;
萬燈圍繞其琥珀色的樓閣;
Through its low lattices, it scattered in zillion.
通過其低格子,揮霍龐大的數字算不清.
Its reflection flickered on my sleepiness;
其閃影摇曳在我的瞌睡中;
The fulfillment and separation were blameless.
實践和分開是無可責備.
Happiness and depression, union and separation
幸福和抑鬱,融洽和分離
are human restlessness;
是人類的煩躁不安;
The imperfect moon displayed its changing brilliance,
不完美的月亮顯示其亮度在變化,
And infrequent roundness.
和罕見的圓度
Such imperfection was revealed since bygone years;
那麼的缺陷顯現自從逝去的歲月;
We only cherished to live longer and what we endeared.
我們唯有珍惜延長生命和珍惜互愛.
To share the bond such brilliance brought;
分享債券,如此的可帶來光彩;
Despite living miles apart, perfection forever sought.
儘管生活相隔英里,完美是永恒的尋求.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s