DAY 3 SHANDONG TRAVEL: TAIERZHUANG, ZAOZHUAN
MALAYSIANTANKA ECHOES 59: DRUKEN DREAM
walk past bygone lanes
ancient town destroyed by war
pray peace will prevail
dream of wetland lotuses
beer binging with goddesses
Taierzhuang (Zaozhuang) village was named as a “First Village” by the emperor, due to its socio-economic progress and grandeur then. It was connected by the Grand Canal, linking Beijing and Hangzhou, but the Zaozhuang section was now not navigable. It was first built during the Qin Dynasty ((221-207 BC) and developed further by Han Dynasty (206-220AD), then by the Ming and Song Dynasty.
During the War, the Germans took control of whole of Shandong, and passed over to the Japanese. In 1938, the Japanese invaded the town and met with defeat by the Kumintang army. The Japanese did best in their scorched earth policy of destroying all in China, killed and burned the whole beautiful town. In 2008, the town was rebuild, basing on Ming and Song architectures and design, and was regarded as a Cultural and Heritage site.
The attraction was the Beichang River scenic area, with its beautiful wetland, when the lotuses were in full blossom, with the willows, peaches and apricots, contesting along the canals.